Unfortunately, not everyone can commit the time or money to doing the Pass Plus or Advanced course but are still nervous about driving. You may have just passed your test, you may have lost confidence, or you may not have driven for many months/years. There's a chance you would feel more comfortable having a lesson to brush up on skills just to reassure you (or your partner/relative).
- Parking is a regular request for refresher; both bays and parallel parks. Passed your test after being trained by an instructor who's technique worked in their car, but not yours? I can teach you transferable techniques or even better, train you in your own vehicle.
- Roundabouts.... Even that word making you cringe? I have unique ways to improve this aspect of your driving, covering from basics like lanes and where to look (yes, where to look! Seems obvious, but is frequently done wrong), to much more advanced, incredibly helpful, timing advice and exercises; it's all a matter of logic, as with most things, it only becomes obvious once you've heard it explained. Then you'll wonder why you were never taught this way before!
- Motorway driving can be daunting for anyone; all those people too close to each other at those speeds, are you one of the daunted? I hear of qualified drivers who are so petrified of motorways that they point blank refuse to go near one! One of these was a long distance lorry driver, I just can't imagine avoiding motorways if you're a professional driver, it'd be commercial suicide! Motorways will seem easy once I have trained you in all aspects including journey planning and preparation, use of slip roads, overtaking, lane discipline, breakdown procedure and safety, a well as others. You'll be amazed in your change of confidence!
- Blind emerging junctions are always a worry, but I can teach you practical methods for position, observation, as well as other simple, but often overlooked techniques to help you emerge safely.
- Country lanes (single track) are loved by some, but hated by most. These roads demand respect, and punish those who lack it. Accident statistics for these roads do not make good reading! Some drivers avoid them, others are unable to. They can be a convenient and some times essential, though risky, means of getting from A to B. These roads can be made safer with advanced techniques. Learn the techniques which we should all know, but few are taught!
Many years ago an elderly lady came to me because her husband raised some concerns over her driving. She asked me to assess certain aspects of her driving and coach her, if necessary, on any items 'flagged'.
After a thorough appraisal I reassured her that, besides a couple of very minor points, her driving was perfectly safe. The lady went on to explain how different her husband's driving was; her description led me to suggest that maybe it should've been her husband I should have assessed. To this she replied; "He'd never do that"!
This is a topic that I have a lot of experience in dealing with. If you want to look at a particular subject for example; the parallel park, I am happy to do this.
You may feel nervous about driving after an accident, either being involved or witnessing one, and again may benefit from having a driving assessment to reassure you of your abilities, this could well help prevent you being in an accident in the future.
This car toppled from a 3ft high ledge and ended up on its roof in Thetford town centre.
An elderly driver suffered minor injuries.
The male driver, who was believed to be in his 80's, was asked to reverse the car out of a parking space by its elderly owner, when he lost control of the vehicle.
Witnesses reported seeing the automatic geared Nissan shoot forward across a small grass slope and fall from a 3ft flint wall, causing it to flip and land on its roof in Thetford's main shopping street.
The elderly frequently 'self regulate' their driving, trying to complete journeys before night-fall, avoid parking in spaces likely to require awkward reversing, avoid awkward junctions, sticking to areas they're familiar with, and in some cases, only undertaking unavoidable, necessary journeys.
The owner of the above car knew his limitations, unfortunately the 'helpful' 80+ year old who 'assisted' did not.
Contact me on: (Taunton) 01823 430094 07931707855